Cautions for the holidays

Reaction score
This is usually the time we start decorating for the Christmas season. Sine I first became a volunteer fireman over 40 years ago I have seen just about every kind of fire you can imagine. Unfortunately, the holiday season is one of the busiest for firemen. Here are just a few of the causes I have seen. Please add anything you have seen to this list.

1. Candles. I have seen people locate candles too near curtains and other flamables. Candles can tip over and start a fire almost instantly. Onehouse had a window open and the curtain blew with the wind and landed on the flame. House was a total loss.

2. Careless electrical wiring. People do some poor practices during the holidays thinking it is just temporary. Stringing cheap extension together can be a disaster. Running cords under rugs also can be dangerous. Extension cords laying on dry pine needles is asking for trouble.

3. Space heaters. This should be #1 on the list because they are responsible for more fires I have fought than anything else. If you must use one, clean it first. If it doesn’t have a tip over breaker, don’t use it. Never have anything flammable near it. Be sure that the circuit you have it plugged into can handle the amperage used.

4. Stoves and ovens. During this season people are very apt to get interrupted while cooking. If you have to leave your stove, shut it off.

5. Outside lights. This is where most people really loose their minds. Poor quality electrical cords mixed with snow and water can not only cause fires but electrocute people standing on them.

These are a few cautions to keep the holidays safe. Please add any you can think of

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Excellent advice as usual Doug; thanks for the timely warning.

One thing I'd like to add is "Common Sense" this is increasingly rare these days when people are no longer responsible for their own actions.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really interesting to read about space heaters being so high on the list @Silentrunning. I've got a wall-mounted space heater for my garage that I occasionally use, I might just go and give it a once-over now just to be on the safe side.

Ask a Question