Can I fill this hole?

Reaction score
I'm looking to put flooring on my concrete floor in the basement.

I am hoping I could fill this hole in the concrete floor with concrete. Currently the hole is covered with a wooden slab.

I have a basement waterproofing system with French drains and a sump pump in a different area of the basement. Water in my basement is non existant.

My house was built in 1950. There is a washer and dryer near by, but the washer has a direct connection to sewer, and from what I can see nothing drains into this hole.

My basement also has a bathroom with a grinder pump in a different area that also goes to the sewer.

My question is, can I fill this hole with concrete? Bottom of hole is dirt.

Attachments

Reaction score
Should be fine as long as you don't forget about some heat-insulating element on top of concrete.

Reaction score
Looks like someone may have used that hole to hide a safe? sure fill it and use a lot of stone aggregate so you do not need that many bags of cement. You could even fill it with gravel less two inches. But sealing its is a good idea in case you have Radon leaking into your house from underground. #2 carcinogenic for cancer after cigarette smoking.

Ask a Question