building control have signed off a botch job - response?

Reaction score
A bit off topic as not strictly diy so apologies, but thought i might get some good advice here. Had a window put in where there was a door and a door put in where there was a window. They were put in without a reveal or drip head yet this got signed off by building control. Lots of damp has penetrated through the fabric of the wall, twice the builder has come to fix it yet it is now worse than ever, now pooling on the ground it is so bad. So i want to get a different builder to sort it and invoice the old builder, who will no doubt not pay until we go to small claims. My question is whether to get building control to come back. Would they be helpful in drawing up what needs to be done so i have a solid case at small claims? Maybe i even have a claim against control? What do you think? Thanks

Reaction score
Hi brendan, I can't see it doing any harm to have a word with Building Control, they can often be quite helpful.

Reaction score
It does sound to me like you are looking at some sort of lawsuit as it is unlikely you will get the job done right by your current builder. You have done the right thing in allowing the builder the opportunity to fix the problem. I can not comment on the liability of Building Control as each jurisdiction would be different. I would have building control come back. If it is their job to inspect, let them do it (just try to get a different person). They may even be helpful in offering advice specific to your situation - for example on how to claim against the builder. You might also want to get an opinion (in writing) from another builder detailing exactly what was done wrong.

Ask a Question