Brushless Combi Drill or Brushed Twin Kit?

Reaction score
Hi there

I’ve got a bunch of DIY needed on a house we’re buying so I’m using the opportunity to buy a combi drill. I need it to be able to penetrate brick, but I’ve got a corded hammer drill for anything that needs more power. I’m mainly wanting something that will work for general drilling and lots of screw driving.

I’m thinking of the dewalt 18v xr brushless combi drill sold here: https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd77 ... lsrc=aw.ds

But alternatively I’m wondering whether it’s a better idea to go for a twin kits with both combi drill and impact driver as I’ll be doing lots of driving screws in. I noticed this one at b&q: https://www.diy.com/departments/jcb-cor ... 265_BQ.prd

The twin kit has brushed motors but the specs look good (and I like the fully metal chuck). So my question is: for DIY purposes, is it better to go for a twin pack (even if brushed) or better to go for a high quality brushless combi drill and trust it will be good at driving screws too.

Any thoughts? £120 is my limit really

Cheers

Dan

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd probably go for a dedicated driver if you're going to be doing a lot of it, as although combis are good for occasional use, they're not often great for large amounts of screw driving. At least in my experience.

I have a brushed combi that I bought years ago, which is fine for occasional use - but if I'm doing any bigger jobs I'll switch over to a proper impact driver. I'd be tempted by the 2nd kit, even if it's not brushless. It may be worth holding on to see what some of the other members here think, as they may have some thoughts too.

I think you'll be glad that you've got a corded hammer drill, as that will churn through drilling jobs in comparison :).

Ask a Question