Broken Water Level Knob

Reaction score
Been having a thought?

Is the shaft one of these round shafts with a flat on one side?

If so are there no alternatives, with so many knobs working with circular shaft + a flat is there nothing that could be "pressed into service?

Or is there some sort of a shim /cottar pin ? that holds the [broken] knob on to the shaft?

Must say the explanation from the supplier is best described as "brutal and to the point"

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm fed up with ordering items that may OR MAY NOT be correct so being I'm a DIY'er I make things. :)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Yes, the shaft is 1/4" with a flat. The flat is made and fit then glued in. The knob portion the fingers make contact with is some larger diameter and glued onto the section that fits the shaft.

Attachments

Reaction score
Good outcome, and satisfying.

Over here, the UK Government, the one in Westminster is trying to introduce a law to ensure that machinery used in domestic settings can be repaired with the reduced need to throw it away and buy a "new one"

Do not know if you can get these where you are? but there is a nifty system that will allow you to fix a grub screw into a piece of wood and in the case we have here it would lock the timber on to the emerging shaft.

If you want, check out the following, you will get the idea [if you do not know of them already??] There are several "versions / manufacturers of such bits of kit, they really do work I have used them previously to fit metal bolts to timber

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do not know if you can get these where you are? but there is a nifty system that will allow you to fix a grub screw into a piece of wood and in the case we have here it would lock the timber on to the emerging shaft.
Yes, we have Helicoils available and I'm familiar with those, but to the best of my knowledge not in the size that may be required to make laundry machine water level control knob.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
AAAaaa sorry, the reply using helicoil was intended not as a replacement knob, but as a method of fixing the knob to the shaft.

Apologies for confusion caused.

Ken.

Ask a Question