Boiler controller fully on, won't turn off boiler

Reaction score
As the man of the house, my mother has called me down to fix something i know nothing about. The 2 lights on our boiler controller (which looks exactly like the British Gas UP1 but with an ikon logo) are bright red (on) and the boiler (pr1ma boiler) is burning at a raging heat (the heat switches on and of every couple of minutes).

There are 2 dials on the front of the boiler. One controls the temperature, the other is placed next to the ignitor and has 3 options. The 3 option icons are ignition, flame and a round circle which i assume means off. I turned it off so that we don't waste any more gas. I keep hearing an occasional small click which sounds like the heat is trying to turn on.

Back to the boiler controller

The two lights on the front are on. 1) We never use the right side of the panel. 2) The arrow on the display is at 'off', the other options being once, twice or on. When I switch through these, the light on the corresponding side of the controller gets a tad brighter (except for when it is at off).

This has never happened before.. all we want to do is switch the display to 'on' when we want the boiler to turn on and to 'off' when we want it to turn off. My mum is very resilient to an electrician as she hasn't got the money and we do not have a multimeter. Any ideas to the problem?

To be clear: The lights are bright red, yet each side is firmly set at off.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Charger
I suspect the fault may be a defective motorised valve, rather than the controls. Need to know more about the system, what is in the airing cupboard ?
one or two valves ?

Reaction score
Thanks for going to the trouble of posting that link, but that's not quite what I was looking for. I'm after an electrically operated valve. The reason being that if you have that type of system, it's actually the valve that controls the boiler, and a sticking or defective valve can cause the problem you describe.

Ask a Question