Adding small doors/opening to large mdf "filler"?

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I'm diving into my very first DIY project – a built-in wardrobe – and I'm excited to share my progress. While I'm navigating the world of precise measurements (even if my millimeter accuracy isn't spot on just yet – learning curve, right?), things are shaping up nicely.

However, I've hit a bit of a roadblock when it comes to creating doors or concealed openings for a sizable "filler" piece of MDF that spans from the top of my wardrobe cabinets to the ceiling.

I've included a snapshot of my work in progress for you to take a look at.

As you can see, the "filler" MDF board is quite substantial, and I'm keen on incorporating some hidden doors or openings within it. This extra storage space would be perfect for those items you rarely need, but still want to keep organized and accessible.

My plan is to design discreet doors or openings that will blend seamlessly with the overall design. Everything will be painted in a consistent color.

Now, here's where I could use your expertise. What's the simplest approach to achieve this? My initial idea revolves around using hinges that can be mounted internally, coupled with a magnetic push-to-open locking mechanism. Does that sound feasible?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and advice!

Attachments

Ask a Question