Adding 220v to a garage...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I just bought a new (built in 2007) house. It has a detached 3-car garage, and there are currently two separate 120v circuits from the main junction box in the house to the garage (one for lights, one for outlets). I think that's fine for most people, but I would like to have a 220v circuit with a separate fuse panel just for the garage. I want to build a workshop in half of one of the bays, and add 220v for my air compressor, and a welder.

Can anyone tell me what the proper way to do this?

I'm not currently aware of how the electrical is currently connected to the house (e.g. what kind of conduit runs under the ground, etc.). I assume I can't combine the two circuits and use it as 220v (wrong gage of wiring)... any thoughts on everything I would need? I can download a copy of NERC... but was looking for a quick overview of what I can expect. I won't do it ghetto, and will do it to code.

Thank you so much for any advice!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lots of variables here.
The two 120-volt circuits will need to be on opposite legs to create 240-volts.
If you check voltage between the hots of the two circuits and your meter reads at or near 0-volts, then that means that they are both on the same leg. One of them will need to be moved to the opposite leg.
The two circuit breakers for the two 120-volt circuits will need to be replaced with a 2-pole circuit breaker.
If you install a new circuit breaker panel in the 3-car garage you need to ensure that the neutral buss-bar is not bonded to the ground. In a sub-panel, the neutrals and grounds must be electrically isolated from each other.
Now the bigger story. Getting the right voltage is just one consideration. Getting enough amps to do the work is the bigger part.
It is likely that the two 120-volt circuits are each supplied with a 15 or 20 amp circuit breaker. Depending on the motor size of your compressor and the sum-load of everything you may want to power in the garage, a 15 or 20 amp 240-volt circuit may not be enough.
If a 15 amp circuit breaker is used, then the wire is likely #14 AWG.
20 amp would be #12 AWG
30 amp would be #10 AWG
40 amp would be #8 AWG
Wire size must match the circuit breaker rating.
And with a 240-volt circuit, both wires need to be the same size and the neutral must be that size too.

Since there are so many moving parts to this and based on your admission that electrical is not one of your strong suits, you should at least invite an electrician to survey your current system and make suggestions about how to get where you need to be.
Do not guess on anything electrical. If you are not sure, have an expert lay eyes on this and bridge your knowledge gap.
Be safe. No fires. No shocks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lots of variables here.
The two 120-volt circuits will need to be on opposite legs to create 240-volts.
If you check voltage between the hots of the two circuits and your meter reads at or near 0-volts, then that means that they are both on the same leg. One of them will need to be moved to the opposite leg.
The two circuit breakers for the two 120-volt circuits will need to be replaced with a 2-pole circuit breaker.
If you install a new circuit breaker panel in the 3-car garage you need to ensure that the neutral buss-bar is not bonded to the ground. In a sub-panel, the neutrals and grounds must be electrically isolated from each other.
Now the bigger story. Getting the right voltage is just one consideration. Getting enough amps to do the work is the bigger part.
It is likely that the two 120-volt circuits are each supplied with a 15 or 20 amp circuit breaker. Depending on the motor size of your compressor and the sum-load of everything you may want to power in the garage, a 15 or 20 amp 240-volt circuit may not be enough.
If a 15 amp circuit breaker is used, then the wire is likely #14 AWG.
20 amp would be #12 AWG
30 amp would be #10 AWG
40 amp would be #8 AWG
Wire size must match the circuit breaker rating.
And with a 240-volt circuit, both wires need to be the same size and the neutral must be that size too.

Since there are so many moving parts to this and based on your admission that electrical is not one of your strong suits, you should at least invite an electrician to survey your current system and make suggestions about how to get where you need to be.
Do not guess on anything electrical. If you are not sure, have an expert lay eyes on this and bridge your knowledge gap.
Be safe. No fires. No shocks.

Thanks Buck, I really appreciate the candid response. I guess my concern was what I was potentially looking at to upgrade. With everything I'd like to be able to do to the garage, I don't think using two 120v circuits would do it. I think anything short of a dedicated 220v line going from the box to the garage with a new panel would be ghetto. I'd like to have a couple of circuits off the new panel. I don't at all like messing with panels, but I'll install outlets and switches and lighting boxes all day long. I'm hoping there's at least somethings I can do myself... and that would include laying the cabling and conduit underground. Sounds like I need to get a copy of the NERC, and then do what I know I can do legally and properly, and then pay a professional to wire the panel and install a new panel.

Thanks!!!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am a Master Electrician, owned a company for 31 yrs.

Abandon the existing lines. Don't consider them for use anymore. Dig an 18inch trench from house to garage, install #6 NMWU (non-metallic wet underground) cable, preferably in a PVC conduit (1 1/4" in size). Install a two (2) pole 60amp breaker in your house panel, and install a 12 cct inside-use (Nema 1) 250volt (rated voltage) panelboard in the garage. This way, you have the 240vac (actual voltage), and sufficient capacity (amperes) for a welder or a compressor, notwithstanding your GP (general purpose) load such as lights and receptacles.

Need more info, just ask.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Install a two (2) pole 60amp breaker in your house panel, and install a 12 cct inside-use (Nema 1) 250volt (rated voltage) panelboard in the garage.
Is that typically how it's done? It can also be done like that in the UK, but I and many others would always always always do it by splitting off from the incoming service before the house consumer unit, to a simple fused isolator and then to a consumer unit in the garage.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Here in North America, we cannot "t-tap" the main service line from the utility, otherwise, the energy would not be metered by the local authorities. Our electric meters here in North America are mounted on the building's exterior itself, in this case it would be a home. Some of the homes are fed underground, and others in older neighborhoods are still overhead. Too, the lines coming from the utilities are fused quit heavy, that is, high short-circuit currents (rupture capacity of 10kA).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Surely there's a cable from the meter to the panel?

After the meter (so the use is metered) you run to something which allows the cable to be "tapped"/"split", whatever you want to term it. Typically we'd use a "service connector block(s)" - this is a single-pole one which will accept up to 5 x 35mm² (about half way between 2AWG and 1AWG) conductors.

1621818183718.png

You can also get 2-pole ones. We don't have a split-phase supply like you, if we did we'd need to use 3, or there would be 3-pole ones made.

From there to

a) the house consumer unit ("main panel"), and
b) a fused isolator, the fuse sized to according to the cable from there to the panel in the garage.

No unmetered electricity use, and no cables undersized for the fusing of the incoming supply.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@He who knows: Oh! Well, we don't have that here. It might be nice if they were allowed. According to our codes (the NEC and CEC), the service conductors must be free of splice from the meter to the house's main panelboard. Here, we use what we call "hot metering", meaning that the service conductors are not "down-fused" to 100 (or in some cases 200) amps AT THE PANEL in the house. So the lines end exiting the meter cannot be de-energized by the homeowner, unless the meter is pulled. Too, those lines entering AND exiting the meter are still heavily fused by the utilities. The utilities heavily fuse the homeowners lines so as to avoid nuisance calls over birds, cats, squirrels and other rodents from shorting out the lines and opening the circuit on overcurrent / short-circuit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the way it’s done here.

1621949483785.jpeg

The incoming service cable is for practical purposes unfused. There are fuses at the substation where it originates (pole transformers are rare here) where a delta-star transformer steps down from 11kV to the 400/230V to people’s homes, shops, offices etc, but they are too large to protect the section of service cable from the 3-phase one under (usually) the street to the consumer – if anything goes wrong with it the electricity company would rather it burns out than have it blow a fuse which blacks out out many customers.

It goes into a locally fused thing called a cut-out, these days it has a cartridge type fuse. Typical ratings have crept up over the years – I think 80A is probably still the most common, 100A fairly prevalent, as are 60As in older installations. The electricity company will not replace it unless you keep blowing it or ask them for an uprated supply for your new particle accelerator or whatever. Some companies are putting in 125A ones on new-builds to allow for EV charging points.

Customers are not allowed to pull the fuse. Quite apart from the dangers, obviously once it’s out the opportunity to steal electricity becomes easier. There are seals on the fuse carrier and the outgoing terminal covers. Electricians are also not allowed to pull the fuse, although some suppliers do give training on the more modern types to registered electricians and let them. In theory if anybody needs the supple de-energised they arrange for the supplier to send someone, and then to return later to replace the fuse once the work (e.g. replacing the consumer unit) is done. Unsurprisingly many people, particularly electricians with a ticking clock, find this inconvenient, but fortunately there is a never-seen but always present creature called the “fuse fairy” who magically arrives at just the right times....

From the cut out to the meter, and the meter to the CU, are single-core double insulated cables known as tails – probably 25mm² (just under 3AWG) or could easily be 16mm² (5AWG) in older installations.

It’s in those where you’d put blocks like I showed earlier to “split the tails”.

The isolator switch shown isn’t always/often there. Having one makes it really easy to isolate the supply so you can change or move the CU, or split the tails without needing to pull the service fuse. Some suppliers will install one (for a charge, natch). If someone has come to change the meter and you’ve got everything ready (switch already fixed, lengths of meter tails cut to size) he might do it. Or an electrician or DIYer does it after the fortuitous fuse fairy visit.

Now – as to why a lot of people prefer to keep a garage or workshop or other outbuilding supply completely away from the house CU, it is partly because it “feels” better, although I fully accept that that’s an emotive reason. But there is, or at least for a long time there used to be, a practical reason – RCD protection. (RCD = Residual Current Detector = GFCI). For some time here it’s been required at the circuit level for an ever-expanding list of circuits, and until relatively recently it was done by having 1 or 2 or 3 RCDs in the consumer unit covering some or all of the circuits, i.e. [RCD] --> [a bunch of circuit breakers]. So the breaker supplying your outbuilding would be on an RCD in your house CU. Any earth fault out there could easily trip that, so you’d lose other circuits in the house and you’d have to schlep back there to reset it. If your outbuilding is a rickety wooden shed, or a gazebo, or if you’ve got outside lights or sockets supplied from it, earth faults might be quite possible. Or conversely a fault in the house suddenly deprives you of power when its dark and you’re using the spinning finger chopper.

But the long-term practical reason is, it is true, declining. Increasingly people are using RCBOs (Residual Current Breaker with Overload protection, i.e. GFCI breaker), as they have dropped in price a lot in recent years. (How that will change as requirements arise for RCBOs other than Type AC or A remains to be seen....). So if you’ve got an all-RCBO CU you could put a plain old circuit breaker in (if you use armoured cable then the cable to the garage doesn’t need RCD protection) and feed your garage CU that way.

Given US rules, if I were designing an installation there and I knew I was going to have, or might well end up having, different panels in different places I’d like for my “main” panel to have nothing but breakers supplying the other panels.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the service conductors are not "down-fused" to 100 (or in some cases 200) amps AT THE PANEL in the house. So the lines end exiting the meter cannot be de-energized by the homeowner, unless the meter is pulled. Too, those lines entering AND exiting the meter are still heavily fused by the utilities. The utilities heavily fuse the homeowners lines so as to avoid nuisance calls over birds, cats, squirrels and other rodents from shorting out the lines and opening the circuit on overcurrent / short-circuit.
I assume by "heavily fused" you mean a fuse with high rating, which is not easily blown?

The purpose of the service fuse here is to protect the tails before and after the meter, but also, importantly, to protect the service cable - it stops any faults in the house from overloading it.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ya, its kind of the same here. But, I think the utilities fuse approx every 8 houses on a 1200amp fuse. It also avoid nuisance opening of the fuses (timed circuit breakers) after an overload, overcurrent from snow, or short-circuits due to local wildlife crossing the lines.

Ask a Question