Adding an outlet

Reaction score
Country
United States
Based in California, I am adding an outlet, extending from an existing outlet. I have completed and received the permit, and will do all the work myself (lots of industrial experience in electrical from my past :) )

I obviously need to rough in the romex from the current outlet to the new outlet, observing all code for running the romex, boxes, etc

The outlet I am running the extension *from* is existing. I would normally shut off the power to this for the duration of the work. However, this outlet is on the same circuit as my thermostat, so powering this off means no HVAC (its 100degrees tomorrow here).

I was planning on powering off, running the new romex into the box, leaving the currently connected and insulated (wirenuts) wiring out of the box and visible, but re-power them so that HVAC is working.

Any idea if this will be ok with the city?

Reaction score
I have over 40 years in the electrical trade . That is how I would do it . As far as the city , as far as I am concerned , what they do not know does not hurt them .

I am guessing you are talking about the new Romex and receptacle being installed in finished walls ? From a practical point of view , there is no way to staple the Romex , without opening the wall . So , forget that requirement .

You should pretty much be able to source the materials at your favorite big box store .

Best of luck to you , :)
God bless
Wyr

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but what is Romex?
I'm assuming from the other side of the Atlantic, that Romex is some sort of flexible or rigid conduit/ducting/ trunking.
Wirenuts are also new to me. Are these terminal blocks, screw, cage clamp?
If the temporary wiring is done to an acceptable standard with regard to cable size and protection (UK "twin and earth" double sheathed cable) plus even a notice or two, there shouldn't be a problem.
As the others have said, no point in stirring up a hornets nest by dragging in the inspectors.
Just play safe.

Reaction score

Romex is a generic term for Non Metallic cable ( NM cable ) often uses for residential work in concealed / protected locations .

Wirenut is a generic term for twist on wire connectors , contained in some sort of protected enclosure / box .

As used in the United States and other areas .

God bless
Wyr

Reaction score
Thanks WyrTwister.

In the UK, non-metallic cable used in domestic situations and is suitable for hidden - though protected - use, is commonly called "T&E" or Twin and earth. It has PVC insulated coloured cores, blue and brown for neutral and earth, and a bare copper conductor for grounding.
The cores are further protected by an oval, usually grey, PVC sheath, so effectively double insulated.
Metallic cables would be cables like steel wire armoured that can be directly buried in the ground, plus warning tape.
There is another class called Hituf that has a very tough plastic outer, always round, that might be used when better protection is needed than flexible PVC, but wouldn't be buried directly. Quite suitable in in ducting.

Yes, now I know what you mean by wire nut. They are used, not often in new installations, too "screw" onto a twisted wire connection. They were ceramic with a coarse internal thread. Most of these have been replaced with things like Wago cage clamp or screwless terminals.

Cheers, and don't forget to wash your hands which is the mantra in my virus ridden country.

Reaction score
I am aware that electrical is done differently in the UK ( and other parts of the world ) . Your household circuits are 240 VAC . Only our larger household circuits are 240 VAC . Two hots and an earth ground . The general lighting and appliance circuits are 120 VAC . One hot , one neutral / grounded conductor and one earth ground / grounding conductor .

Our plastic wirenuts are very widely used on 60 amp circuits and less . Ceramic wirenuts are only used in high heat devices , such as electric stoves , dryers , etc. .

Best wishes from Texas . :)
God bless
Wyr

Ask a Question