Add door frame and dry wall

Reaction score
Hi, I'm working on adding another barn door. See the first attached picture for the completed project (and I must say it turned out pretty well... maybe even giving me confidence to pitch a new project to my boss at work :)).

The issue with adding my new barn door is that the door entry doesn't have enough space to put the slide rail onto. For some reason they made the door entry and trimming really close to the roof (sorry but no pictures yet). I'm thinking I'm able to make some room by cutting the door trims about a foot from the top using a jigsaw or circular saw. Then I was going to add some framing to the entry way and add dry wall to the outside. Please see second image. I drew a concept of the frame that I want to make. I'm very new to diy and wood working for that matter and am concerned if there will be issues with this. Do you have any recommendations to do this project? Also, I haven't put up dry wall ever so any tips on that would help me too. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Ask a Question