A.O.Smith water heater life expectancy

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Drains' started by Marty, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Marty

Marty

In 2007 I installed a 40 gallon gas water heater. It leaked at about 5-3/4 years. New unit provided free. It just leaked after almost 6 years. 2nd unit only had the warranty balance from first. Now I am faced with paying for a new unit (Had almost 12 years use of 2 heaters) plus labor again. What is up with AO Smith units that only last 6 years. I expect 12 or more would be reasonable life. Company would do nothing. Comments on life expectancy experiences? Model GCV 40

Marty, Dec 4, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Marty

Silentrunning

Are you draining the heaters on a regular basis? Are these heaters equipped with an anode rod? If so, what condition was the rod in when replaced? If you are on a well, have you had your water tested?

Silentrunning, Dec 5, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Marty

Marty

City water. Factory installed anode rod. Sure not drained, but even when people neglect to drain, they usually get 10+ years out of heater, Forgot to mention that on second heater, gas valve went in two years. Horrendous life expectancy of heater and parts.

Marty, Dec 5, 2018
  4. Marty

Silentrunning

Agreed. I bought a house with a 15 year old water heater and it still functioned. I replaced it two years later because the bottom rusted out. It was still making hot water.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Silentrunning, Dec 5, 2018
  5. Marty

Doghouse Riley

They don't make stuff like they used to.
    We bought our house in 1972. It had a glowarm Majorca back boiler/gas fire i the lounge that had been installed when the house was built in the mid sixties. we had a Worcester combi boiler replacment fitted in the kitchen in 2002. "They had to beat the Gloworm to death with a stick"...Well.... with a sledgehammer to get it out as the boiler was made of cast iron. The Worcester had to be replaced last year.

I'm using a water heater in the garage I put in, in 1985. It was second-hand then.

Doghouse Riley, Dec 5, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question