110 leg off of 220 with no neutral

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got a well pump that's running 220V off of a hot, a neutral, and a ground. There's no red wire. The well guys told me its okay. The internet seems to agree.
I was hoping to tap off the 220v panel at the 60 amp fuse and get a leg of 110V to my greenhouse, but the lack of a neutral makes me doubt that it's possible.
Is there a way to do this, or am I S.O.L.?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Id say there using the white as a hot, you need two 110s+ a ground. Its a bad idea to tap off a well and maybe illegal in your area. A pic of the box would be helpful, maybe there's a open spot for a breaker. Otherwise you will share the total amps available.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Tombstone,
Thanks for the reply. I decided it was too dangerous to do this and was able to successfully pull power from another greenhouse instead without overloading the circuit. If I need to pull power off the well in the future, I'll have to find a way to run a solitary neutral out there (wouldn't be easy), put in a small subpanel at the well and give the well its own breaker and have a space for another circuit. thanks again

Ask a Question