thick black spots on ceiling,

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by flexiplumber, Jun 10, 2011.

1. flexiplumber

flexiplumber

hi to all, finding this sight very usefull,anyhows, looked at a freinds bed ceiling,there is mould appearing on ceiling an down the outside walls,around window .above is a void space inloft,but not much as loft has old conversion incorporating 1 bedroom,with dormer,we have had to cut access into void area above bedroom, noticed there was no felt under tiles, old rockwool insulation in some spots,half achimney breast, removed below completeley, below where mould is seems to be around base of chimney in loft,have noticed droplets on ceiling,even when there is no rain, there seems to be damp spots on rafters but nothin to suggest tiles leakin, if any one can give me any idears in right direction would be great, thanks for your time. regards marc (flexiplumber)
    flexiplumber, Jun 10, 2011
    1. Advertising

2. flexiplumber

bosshogg

I think the old chimney breast needs a lookin into. The redundant shaft (if I'm reading correctly) should be vented, otherwise condensation can occur, the water from which has to go somewhere. Best check this out as possibility, some sort of humidity sniffer lowered into shaft would give a good indication...bosshogg :)
    bosshogg, Jul 16, 2011
    1. Advertising

3. flexiplumber

Danette

I need help. We recently started renting a house and noticed that after moving in, room started getting dark spots on the ceiling. When I brought it up to my land lord, they said that it had to be mold or mildew from the humidifier that I run everyone once in a while (and always with his door open). The stuff just appeared one day, doesn't mold take a while to accumulate? So any way, I gave my husband a bucket of bleach water and a washcloth yesterday and sent him in to take care of it.
    Danette, Jan 5, 2012
    1. Advertising