Pivot Hinge with Resistance

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a bit of advice on a fixing that I'm trying to find (ideally from Screwfix / B&Q, as they are local).

I've got a 10kg 1700x600mm mirror with a thick wooden frame that I need to mount within a 25mm steel square tube framework. Here's a very basic text illustration with the inner mirror and parts of the steel frame either side. I need to get the mirror to pivot (up to perhaps +/- 45 degrees), with some resistance to keep it in place.

Code:
|   |-----------------------------------------------------|   |
|   |                                                     |   |
| - |                        MIRROR                       | - |
|   |                                                     |   |
|   |-----------------------------------------------------|   |
|                                                             |
|                                                             |
What would you suggest using for the pivot fixing? Is there anything off-the-shelf that I can buy which will offer me some resistance and fix to the wooden frame and steel tube either side.

If I can't find anything, I may just resort to using a bolt as a pivot and wingnut to fix the angle in place.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Ian
I was going to suggest the bolt and wing nut anyway, perhaps with a fibre washer or two for added resistance Any other way, and providing the resistance is going to be the problem. I'm thinking of the old style dressing table mirrors, a central pivot, and a friction stay at the bottom.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks John, I think I'll go down that route then - nice and simple, and it'll work :)

Ask a Question