Loft Boarding Plan - Looking For Advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m looking to board out a section of my loft in my bungalow. My plan is to add 4x2 cross beams at 90 deg to the existing ceiling joists, pack them level and then glue and screw them at every crossover point. Then insulate and board the area. Most of the required info (hopefully) will be on the drawing I’ve done. I can live with the reduced insulation depth underneath the boarded area but I’m then going to edge the boarded area with some extra boards mounted on their long edge and fill the outer area up to the 270mm recommended depth. I did wonder about putting some of the ‘silver backed’ insulation sheet under the boards to help the insulation but wasn’t sure if it would make enough difference to make it worthwhile.
PS. The vertical left hand edge of the drawing is also a supporting brick wall and the bottom left hand room is 3.4m long. Made me then wonder about a ‘plan B ‘ using joist hangers on the wall to support one end of the new 2x4s, then lift them by 25mm or so to clear the old joists. Then reinforce the original joist where the ends of the new joists end up needing to rest.

Does this look like an acceptable plan please?

Attachments

Last edited:

Ask a Question