Loft Boarding with cross batons

Reaction score
Hi guys,

As
1. my loft space has trusses with web members that need flooring to go in between the connection plates
2. I want to run wires the length of the roof (where the ceiling joists/trusses go across)
3. I already have 22mm x 100mm braces diagonally and longitudinally on top of the ceiling joists

I was thinking that in order to board the attic it would be best to cross baton first then run the flooring in the same orientation as the joists. Helps to get past the tricky web members and allows wiring to slip underneath.

Joists are 600mm centres (+- 20mm). I plan to have insulation at roof level so no need for insulation at ceiling level.

Ideally I would like to use 22mm/25mm thick batons but am not sure what the other dimensions and spacings should be in order to support the flooring sufficiently. This is for light foot traffic and storage

Could I get away with 50mm x 25mm batons @ 600mm centres? with 22mm chipboard flooring on top? Also I don't really want tongue and groove to allow easy access to wires etc later will this cause me any problems? I guess I can just put batons at the edges to ensure support?

Thanks for advice

Reaction score
To clarify I was thinking to lay the batons flat so 25mm high and 50mm deep. This then pretty closely matches the strapping and gives enough width to comfortable butt and fix square edged boards together on top of them.

Ask a Question