Would a false wall solve a problem with serious condensation?

Reaction score
I would be grateful for some help please with a damp problem

First some background. Five years ago we had a survey carried out by Rentokil which specified that the problem with damp on the ground floor was due to rising damp. On the basis of their supposed reputation, I agreed to have a new damp course installed. However since this time nothing has improved.

I have patchy black fungus concentrated at the base of an external wall about a third of the way up but extending to the height of the ceiling in the corner. The fungus is more dense the nearer it is to the corner.

Three years ago in response to our complaints Rentokil carried out a test to ascertain that the damp course has been installed correctly, the result was supposedly positive. They are of the opinion that it is condensation that is causing this problem

I am also concerned that old plaster was replaced by an impervious water proof plaster. I have since found out that this kind of plaster is unsuitable for properties such as ours which are constructed of stone - as the wall needs to “breathe”. Old stone houses should be treated with older types of plaster, such as lime plaster, that is “breathable” through which moisture can pass and evaporate when it reaches the outside. This has certainly contributed to the ongoing problems. Rentokil refuse to consider that the plaster they used was not suitable for an older type of building. I cannot afford to replace with lime plaster and wondered if a false wall with insulation would help? If so how do I go about doing this, I have had little experience with DIY

Any advice please would be appreciated
Thank you

Reaction score
Iwouldn't put in a false wall as you still have the damp problem at the back of the wall it

As you have said it needed to be plastered with a lime plaster to let to stone walls breath I would get back on to rentokil or go and see your local citizens advice because they may have stopped the rising damp but now using the wrong material they have caused the condensation problems

Ask a Question