Wooden pillar repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Im a newbie here so hi to everyone. I have a wooden fence pillar (pic attached) which has split. Obviously rain is getting into it and its getting a bit soft so probably needs replacing but in the mean time im thinking of filling in the split with wood filler and then clamp the sides of the pillar together with cable tie or some sort of clsmp. I would be really grateful of some advice please.

Attachments

Reaction score
I wouldn't use a cable tie.
Stick some Cuprinol down it then the following day a lot of glue, then use a couple of jubilee
It should then last as long as the rest of the fencing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't use a cable tie.
Stick some Cuprinol down it then the following day a lot of glue, then use a couple of jubilee
It should then last as long as the rest of the fencing.
Thanks buddy.
So just cuprinol and wood glue the following day with jubilee clip. 👍👍

Reaction score
Country
United States
Probably does need to be replaced, but for a bandaid you could just throw in a few carriage bolts. Might completely close the gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Once you have closed the gap, you could fit a cap on top of the post to prevent further water ingress. It should then last as long as the fence, as per the reply from DR above.

Reaction score
Once you have closed the gap, you could fit a cap on top of the post to prevent further water ingress. It should then last as long as the fence, as per the reply from DR above.
Yes, caps are a good idea.
This is our pergola on the back of the house. It's just tanalised soft wood.
It has "concrete "elephants feet" to keep the bottom of the two posts off the patio.

P1000558.JPG

There's plywood caps on the tops, with silicone sealant between them and the top of the post.
They've been OK for over 20 years.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, caps are a good idea.
This is our pergola on the back of the house. It's just tanalised soft wood.
It has "concrete "elephants feet" to keep the bottom of the two posts off the patio.

View attachment 6112

There's plywood caps on the tops, with silicone sealant between them and the top of the post.
They've been OK for over 20 years.
Thanks buddy

Ask a Question