What Makes a Filter material Electrostatic?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a washable cut to fit filter material for my HVAC unit that has several years of age and I would like to replace it with new material. It is electrostatic and catches dust particles without being connected to any form of electricity. It is sold in a roll 30 feet x possibly 20 or 25 inches wide x 1 inch thick which is still available but makes no mention of being electrostatic. Pics attached show dirty and washed with a garden hose hanging to dry.

Attachments

Reaction score
SandburRanch, good evening.

Had a quick look on the WWW about replacement rolls of electrostatic materials???

Yes there are [over here] frames that have this material fitted, But? there does not seem to be any "rolls"

What is interesting is that a lot of these on-line sellers state that the material is "permanent??" what ever that means??

Can I suggest you contact a [local to you] A/C installer and see if they can assist??

I have seen rolls of "A/C" and air purifiers that have rolls fitted, the roll is very, very slowly moved across an inlet or similar to remove [whatever] it is designed to get rid of.

I think that your Installation is [in my opinion] an almost industrial set up? so you may not find what you are looking for unless you contact the industrial suppliers?

OK no answer but possibly an Idea or two??

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your information.

I discovered this electrostatic filter material at a public auction when a small roll was in a box of miscellaneous. I have contacted HVAC suppliers and when in person get the look as if I must be on real good drugs etc. Most don't seem to understand static electricity and have the opinion the filter must be connected to electricity ( Electronic Filter Systems ).

I would purchase a 30 foot roll if the vendor would guarantee it was eletrostatic but they won't commit and I don't need to spend 90 bucks on a roll that is only good for filtering bird feathers and cotton wood tree blooms.

I discovered this interesting link about swiffer dusters and this fellow's testing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
After a hard AC repair I suggest not using a permanent filter UNLESS YOUR EVAPORATOR IS EASILY ACCESSIBLE TO CLEAN

If you don't get yearly maintenance (cleaing inspection).... no.

Cleaning an EVAP ... they are delicate and water can fall on electronic parts. You could easily cause a freon leak. I'm not saying don't i'm saying: you care and skills.

Your evap can be clogged and that can cause damage to your whole hvac system (cause a freeze which busts the evap cause leaks in the outdoor, cause what ends up being a need to replace both the indoor and outdoor $16,000 all said and done headache unit)

Use a good filter to protect your EVAP if you can't safely clean it. Your filter isn't for protecting the fan as much as it is for protecting the EVAP

a dirty EVAP is in-efficient also - perhaps preventing your AC from cooling your home

Ask a Question