Waterbased or Shellec

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
First post and need help as im struggling to know whats best.
My hall was painted in Silk, stupidly when i wanted to paint over it, instead of gently sanding the area so the new paint would adhere to it, i painted over it with a cheap white matt that was watered down as i was using it to seal new plaster. I then painted over with a mid sheen paint but it bubbled. Double trouble of silk and mat meant it wasnt taking. The new plaster that was sealed was fine though. So i spent ages with a small pin, popping the bubbles. Most reduced and you would never tell. Some i gently had to tap to get the paint flat and it worked well. Nobody could tell.
That was 6 years ago and its paint time again. This time i was looking again at a mid sheen or matt paint but i do not want any bubbling. So the effected area needs to be sealed and primed.
Can anyone give me any advice whether to use a solvent, water or Shellec based primer ?
Whats the best product or cheapest for the job.
Ive used the Zinser stuff in the past and they have been brilliant but expensive especially Shellec based BIN product. They do a water based version, 1,2,3 i think its called thats cheaper but will it do the trick being water based ?
Any guidance much appreciated. And yes i was a nob painting over the silk with matt!
Regards
Grinchy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi GrinchyJames
I feel like your best sticking with Zinnser if it did the trick last time, expensive yes but your assured of a good job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi GrinchyJames
I feel like your best sticking with Zinnser if it did the trick last time, expensive yes but your assured of a good job
Yes i agree but which one ? BIN is £44 a pot, 123 is £28. Ones waterbased and ones Shellac solvent based. Both primers and do the same thing apparantly.

Reaction score
Use a shellac based primer. Dries as quick as you apply it and it seals very well. Another plus, at least to me, it smells like Bourbon out of the can. Make sure you have good ventilation. Odor goes away quockly but I am sure in high concentration it is explosive

Ask a Question