Vertical Radiators

Reaction score
I have a vertical radiator with 13 columns. It is the furthest radiator from the boiler. When the boiler starts, only the 2-3 columns on the radiator OUTLET side become heated.
Can someone explain why the radiator does not fully heat?

Reaction score
I have a vertical radiator with 13 columns. It is the furthest radiator from the boiler. When the boiler starts, only the 2-3 columns on the radiator OUTLET side become heated.
Can someone explain why the radiator does not fully heat?
Have you tried bleeding it?

Do the same for all the other radiators.

If you do check the bar pressure of the boiler as it may need topping up with more water

Reaction score

If you do check the bar pressure of the boiler as it may need topping up with more water

Reaction score
Riley: My post was about the strange sequence of column radiator warm up. The problem is wider however because the radiator is reluctant to heat up despite being bled. Perhaps my system needs to be re-balanced?
How do you add water to a gravity-fed boiler?

Reaction score
You didn't really give us much information.

It might be a problem with the pump, maybe it isn't strong enough to move the body of water around the radiator, but the radiator eventually warms up by convection.

I was assuming yours was a combi boiler.

How long has the problem persisted?

Reaction score
Riley: Thanks for your feedback.
My gravity-fed system has 19 rads with a Grundfos UPS (obsolete) pump.
My problem rad has never been quick to warm and has failed completely since I drained the system to replace another rad. The rad is fully bled and has no sticking valves.
I take your point about inadequate pump power. so my immediate plan would be to turn off all other rads to see if this forces water to the problem area. I would then go to a long-overdue balancing routine.
Am I on the right track?

Attachments

Reaction score
Riley: Thanks for your feedback.
My gravity-fed system has 19 rads with a Grundfos UPS (obsolete) pump.
My problem rad has never been quick to warm and has failed completely since I drained the system to replace another rad. The rad is fully bled and has no sticking valves.
I take your point about inadequate pump power. so my immediate plan would be to turn off all other rads to see if this forces water to the problem area. I would then go to a long-overdue balancing routine.
Am I on the right track?
Well, it is certainly worth a try.

Another possibility, is do you have "thermostatically controlled valves" on the radiators?

The ones I mean which are just a simple valve. The tiny pin that screwing down the body opens and closes the valve can sometimes get stuck. With one of mine I had to take the top off the valve and pull the pin up a bit with a pair of pliers to turn it fully on after closing it a while back. I bit of WD40 cured it.

Ask a Question