Valve pipe use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Sorry for the really basic question here. I know the red valve is to the hot water tank. But I'm not sure what the second valve is for. Could anyone shed some light?
Also should the switch be on in the first and second pic? We have lived here for a while and I don't think that has ever been used.:rolleyes:
Many thanks,
Mike

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
If I'm honest I've no idea.
I would think this is a conversion from a tradional type of "back boiler" central heating system hence the hot water tank in an airing cupboard.

What you have there I think is a newish storage combi, so that will be now feeding the tank.

In an old-fashioned conventional boiler system, the red valve would have been controlling the water that tops up the hot water tank from a header tank in the loft as hot water is drawn off. The valve you mentioned in the other pipe would be for supply to the header tank.
This may be the way it still works.

Conventional combis usually draw water straight from the mains.

No offence, but the conversion does look a bit of a dog's dinner, particularly the wiring, but if it works leave it alone.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the reply. That lines up with the research I've done, but it's always nice to have another set of eyes look over. (Even better when they know what they are looking at)

No offence caused at all. That seems to be the theme of the house the more I look into it!

Reaction score
This is just an observation on boilers.

The old gas back boilers, the type with the gas fire on the front were bulletproof as they were made of cast iron. So they could have been working for more than forty years before being changed. Now if the old system is changed to a storage combi, the installers may have used the original tank in the loft. Over time these can start to leak, not a lot, just a slight trickle, but with a ballcock arrangement, any loss would be quietly topped up. I've known of an occasion where this has happened and the whole loft area and top floor became saturated, before the leak was discovered and renovations cost thousands. So it's worth checking on the tank and the pipe unions from time to time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the heads up! I plan on going up tomorrow so will keep an eye out.

Ask a Question