Under sink smell mostly and through hiuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. Under my sink stinks! I have bought every drain cleaner imaginable and the drain isn't blocked. The dishwasher is on the left and connected to the sink. The dishwasher doesn't smell when you open the door but that area does dishwasher/sink. I also think it's through the house but I may be imagining that. Def in the kitchen though. The smell seems to be under the sink. P trap has water in it. Any ideas. Here is the plumming in the photo. It's driving me mad. I had two people up and they didn't know. I was charged £70 each time. I've tried everything. Thanks so much.

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If your trap was empty, you'd smell the pungent aroma directly above the sink quite strong. As you've mentioned the rank aroma seems to be originating from the somewhere beneath the sink (as you've pictured), I would ensure those compression couplings that lead to the trap are TIGHT. Those compression couplings are subjected to sewer gases, as they are ahead of the trap.

Too, ensure your not being fooled into thinking the trap is always full. You have to check regularly. If you've improper venting, the trap will be "sucked" empty from time-to-time, thus, permitting the escape of sewer gases. However, as a kitchen sink is regularly used, improper venting can be less intrusive as the trap is continually being "re-filled", yet the original problem (improper venting) still exists.

Ask a Question