Titan SDS drill.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just for interest. I've had my Titan SDS drill now for just 6 years. I bought it with the extras from Screwfix. It owes me nothing having done plenty of work around our bungalow mostly in chisel mode.

Value for money it's proved amazing and is still going strong; I look after all my tools and have always ensured there is plenty of lithium grease in its gearbox.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tt...z16LN1vdnvKZHy5cFG4aAlVSEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Above shows the drill is still on sale and what a bargain at the price; mine cost a bit extra due to extra accessories. I'm still tidying my workshop and have just wiped over this drill and its case with WD40; I like my tools to look good.

After just buying this Titan a friend asked if I would drill holes into his concrete garage so I popped over taking my big Bosch hammer drill and this new Titan. I know these sectional concrete garages to be extremely hard to drill. I tried drilling with the Bosch in hammer mode and it only tickled the wall; I'd never tried using the Titan in percussion drilling mode and at first I felt quite disappointed because again the drill bit was only tickling the wall then I pushed and was amazed as the drill bit went straight through the wall to the outside; whoops I didn't expect such performance. :)

When I need this Titan I need it badly; I use it for the heavier jobs and so far it hasn't let me down; if it does die then I'll buy another. They even come with a 2 year warranty.

Kind regards, Colin.

104_0328.JPG

Still in good condition at six years old.

104_0329.JPG

Even paying the bit extra what a bargain with all these accessories.

104_0331.JPG

A spray and wipe over with WD40 brings things up like new. I'm enjoying pottering around before starting another project and taking my time to not only tidy the workshop but to check over all my tools.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm glad to see another enthusiast of WD40 :D It does so many useful things - it's great at removing the stickyness left behind from labels too :).

I've had good experience with Titan products and they're generally very affordable. I've got a wet and dry vac in the workshop which I picked up for something like £40 from Screwfix. It's huge capacity and has now been modified in to a dust extraction setup, as there's enough power behind it.

I've transitioned most of my tools to battery powered ones, with a few exceptions. My SDS drill is battery powered and I half wish I'd gone for a mains powered one. It's handy not having a cable trailing anywhere (and being able to use it where mains access is difficult), but I do miss the power.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Ian. WD40 really is amazing stuff to have handy in the workshop; as I've said previously I bought 5L so I'm set up for a long time.

For anyone in a home workshop Titan are a decent make giving excellent service at a very low price; often cheap power tools are indeed cheap lasting only until their warranty expires but Titan give a two year warranty so they have faith in their own product.

I have a pair of cordless drills but don't fully trust any power tool in fact I don't trust anything powered by battery because too often the battery dies when needed most but I have plenty of corded power tools and agree with you; mains power can't be beaten but the cordless drill is brilliant for lots of jobs.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
I enjoy my Bosch Bulldog SDS drill. Sometimes though, I have need of my Bosch SDS Max. It is used to power rotating 2.5" end cutters for wood fencing, a hammer spike for concrete, a resurfacer for concrete, a clay spade for running conduit or pipe and very long masonry bits such as punching vent through fireplace or thick walls. It is a heavy tool, and very torquey, and I am always glad to be done using it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks DM. These SDS power tools are indeed heavy and tiresome to use for prolonged periods; it tires me just carrying the case and contents to the job; I must be getting weak. :D

I once spent the best part of a week using an SDS drill in chisel mode to break through 19" thick concrete to access a broken drain; whomever built the two roomed rear extension had a funny sense of humour; they had stuffed the 4" dia clay pipe joint with supermarket shopping bags and with the pipe broken must have emptied the concrete mixer over the top. My hands were trembling for days after completing the job. There are still a few tradespeople around who care but unfortunately many more who haven't a clue other than ripping customers off for shoddy work.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question