Suggestions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new member here. I’m after some advice. I’ve recently built a shelter over my hot tub with a pitched roof. Actually I finished the job that a fencing contractor started (and bodged). I wish I’d done it myself in the first place. Problem is, where my roof meets the fence - rainwater running off the roof and gathering on my horizontal timber; purely because I had no room to have any overhang. Can anybody suggest what I can do to divert this rainwater? There isn’t much room to add anything (see pics) but don’t want water gathering on and rotting my horizontal timber. Would it be suitable to apply some waterproof tape to my timber, or something to divert
319F21B7-C7F8-4518-A6C4-50F4EE9ADBE9.png

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You also need to stop water ending up lying against the fence, which I'm guessing is your neighbours.

All I can think of from the photo is that you'll have to put up with some asymmetry and rework the gable end where it meets the fence so that you can run some guttering along, with the fall from back to front.

If you don't fancy a downipe, you could use a piece of heavy iron chain to carry the water into that gravel bed

1638703278514.png

Or a decorative rain chain.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your suggestion. I’ve added some temporary guttering (on top of my horizontal timber to see if it gathers the rainwater. If it does, I will connect a down pipe to it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think it might be a problem to seal - it's meant to go under tiles and flashing etc. But it's cheap enough to give it a try.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What about cutting out that offending wall too near the fence. Rebuild it inside the corner post frame to allow you a few more inches, Then you could mount an eavestrough/downspout if you still needed it.

Ask a Question