Submersible Pump New Switch

Reaction score
I have a 3phase w/ground 110v pump. Ive been plugging it in when needed unplugging when not. I purchased a square D pressure switch and have it mounted on tank. All water lines are already connected. I want to connect that preasure switch so it cuts on n off by its self. The wiring need the most basic info you can give me
Wire colors are
green
Red
White
Black
Square D has 4 places plus 2 ground screws
What color wire goes where plesseeee?
If I had money to hire someone I would.

Reaction score
Okay, you need to back to the beginning. 110/120 vac is not now or ever a three phase supply. It is a single, split phase.

The wire you are describing is a three wire with ground. Both black and red are hot conductors. White is Neutral and Green is ground.

Unless this motor is a 240 vac motor you have the wrong wire, although it can be used if you use only black or red. Can you please supply the maker of the motor and the model number as well as the model of the switch.

Reaction score
Please don't touch it. You have already said enough to demonstrate that you could easily get it wrong. You could end up doing yourself or others or your property a lot of damage or worse. You haven't given half enough information for anyone to help you.
Firstly, three phase (in UK at least) is generally for industrial equipment having really heavy power requirements and that does include pumps. A three phase pump would always go through a device called a starter. You say you plug it in? How many pins does you plug have? Again UK single phase plugs would have three pins, Live (hot), Neutral and Earth (ground). How was it wired into your plug? When you bought your pressure switch, did you ask for a three phase switch? A normal pressure switch for something like a washing machine will have a single switching element. You can use a three phase switch by just using one of the switches (contacts). I'm guessing here, but if your pump cable has 4 conductors, it might once not have had a plug on it. Just out of interest, is this a domestic set-up or something bigger? For what it's worth, all the submersible pumps I've ever dealt with, either had a float switch on a cable or were wired into a control box.

Ask a Question