Soft close toilet seat no longer soft close

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have two Vitra S20 soft close toilet seats (I have the same toilet/seat in two bathrooms). Both are about 1 year old.

The soft close functionality on one of the toilets (Toilet #1) is no longer working - the lower seat still comes down slowly but the top seat is now loose and comes down hard.

I have tried swapping the seats between the toilets and the second seat still works fine on Toilet #1.

So the issue appears to be with the seat itself rather than the fitting on the toilet.

Given the above, I'm hoping the root cause may be identifiable to anyone who understands themechanism better than me...

Please let me know if you have any suggestions?

I have uploaded a video below in case helpful...

Thanks

Reaction score
What you call the top seat is really the lid. Are you sure it's supposed to be slow closing? From what you said the seat seems to be working but the lid isn't. If the lid once did come down slowly then the plastic slow-lowering sleeve in its joint has worn out. You could take it apart and see where the wear is and then try to get a replacement sleeve from the seat and lid manufacturer.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

Yes, both the lid and the seat should be soft close. It's only friction that slows it down. We have one.
There seems to be no adjustment on ours.

As they say, "each to their own."
These are as "cheap as chips" on e-Bay, (it's where I got ours a few years ago). In the same situation I'd buy a new one, about £15. Rather than trying to pull it apart and repair it.

Ask a Question