shower install in back to wall bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have recently moved into a property which the previous owner has installed a back to wall bath. I am looking to install a shower on the wall. The bath has a gap at both ends and I am concerned about water going down the side of the bath. The previous owner hasn't made the best job of the bath install and water splashing out of the bath gets through the ceiling downstairs. I guess a filler plate to fill the gap between the bath and wall maybe required(thinking of mounting the shower on the RHS of the bath) but I think this may look a bit of a bodge. The house has a low pressure system so going to go down the route of an electric shower with a mains fed cold water inlet. Has anyone experience of screening these baths off? I think the best shower would be a ceiling mounted one but no electric versions are available.

Attachments

Reaction score
You could fix a fillet between the edge of the bath and the wall.

Something like this.

Then seal with silicone.

That looks like a nice tiled wall, I'd not want to spoil the look with a pipe running up it to supply the shower. What's to the right of it?

With ours it's the toilet. There was a mains supply to the old boiler's header tank before we changed to a combi boiler, so I ran a pipe from the loft down the toilet wall and drilled through to the bathroom for our electric shower over the bath. We've since had the bath taken out and replaced with a walk-in shower.

P1050705.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Thanks for the reply. I have been researching this and think a possible solution is an oval curtain around the tub with an overhead rainfall shower to direct water to the middle of the tub and thus away from the wall. Apparently an electric shower doesn't provide enough flow rate to give a decent flow through an overhead rainfall extension so a power shower is a possible solution as it has an internal pump. I do think what you have done is the best solution in taking the bath out. We have only been in the property a year and the bath was only put in just before we moved in so it seems a shame to remove it. There is a water tank in the attic from where I can access the mains supply if needed. I think the previous owner was thinking about installing a shower in the room used as an airing cupboard as couple of tails for hot and cold have been installed down by the hot water storage tank in this room so I could carry these up into the loft and down the wall into the top of a shower unit

Ask a Question