Self fitting UPVC frames

Reaction score
My softwood casements need replacing and I'm planning to order and fit my own UPVC . I have used Modern UPVC and like their user friendly website from the quality and ordering point of view but the Optima profile they use is just a little wider than my softwood windows and I'm just a little worried the new frames may look a little 'heavy'.
Has anyone used any other online site to order from that does other slimmer UPVC profiles? Its marginal and mainly down to the transoms and mullions that are about 25mm wider in total..... maybe I'm worrying about nothing!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Isn't that just an inevitable feature of UPVC vs wood, for material strength reasons?

Reaction score
Looking at various houses, there are some slimmer profiles. I just wondered if anyone had any experience of other suppliers.

Reaction score
Just a point worth considering.

How long have the old frames been in?

Have a good look at the lintels, There's all sorts, so I don't know what you've got. Sometimes it's a solid concrete beam. It can however, be just a bit of reinforcing wire. Usually where there appears to be no lintel at all. Over time this wire can deteriorate or the mortar start to crumble, so in the end, the wooden frame starts to support some of the weight of the bricks above it. I'm not saying it will collapse when you remove the wooden frame, but you might end up with rather more pointing than you imagined, if in this case, you don't support it before you take out the frame.

Reaction score
Just a point worth considering.

How long have the old frames been in?

Have a good look at the lintels, There's all sorts, so I don't know what you've got. Sometimes it's a solid concrete beam. It can however, be just a bit of reinforcing wire. Usually where there appears to be no lintel at all. Over time this wire can deteriorate or the mortar start to crumble, so in the end, the wooden frame starts to support some of the weight of the bricks above it. I'm not saying it will collapse when you remove the wooden frame, but you might end up with rather more pointing than you imagined, if in this case, you don't support it before you take out the frame.
Thanks, Its a cavity wall mid 1920's and the softwood frames aren't the original ones, but I'll double check. Cheers.

Ask a Question