Replacing low voltage halogens with leds

Reaction score
My bathroom has a suspended ceiling which makes the electrics behind it totally inaccessible (without bringing the ceiling down). Currently there are 2 low voltage halogen spotlights. One of them started intermittently dimming and then totally going out.

I switched the bulbs but the problem stayed with the fitting so I switched the fitting and the problem appeared to move with the fitting. However, the position which was originally faulty (which I moved the apparently OK fitting to) has now begun to start getting unreliable.

This points to the transformer, right? As well as the fitting I moved from the original, faulty position. (There is a separate transformer on each light.)

I guess I could just replace the faulty transformer and both fittings for the most economic solution, right? I'd have to cut the 'in' wire to the current transformer and wire in the new one to that wire as I can't get to the source of the current mains-in cable. Is that OK?

However, I'm thinking about replacing everything with LEDs. That would mean cutting the 'in' wires on the existing transformers and connecting the new fittings to these wires. Is that OK?

As you can tell, I am somewhat inexperienced at electrics so I'm just keen to validate that my proposed solution is safe and achievable. I do not want to make a mistake where the only solution is bringing down the ceiling - that would be a divorce issue!

TIA!

Pete

Reaction score
You should be able to get led bulbs to fit your existing fittings. Most transformers though are switch mode and will shut off if you don't draw enough power, so leds will probably not work.

Reaction score
You should be able to get led bulbs to fit your existing fittings. Most transformers though are switch mode and will shut off if you don't draw enough power, so leds will probably not work.
Thanks! I'm done now - I bought new fittings and leds. All perfect. Although the dispersion angle of the leds is narrower - so parts of the bathroom are darker than before! But that's another question / problem. Due to the false ceiling and lack of a loft cavity over the room I think the only way to get more light is to bring the ceiling down. Well outside what I'm prepared to do! :) But what I now have is adequate and I look forward to lower electricity bills and never having to change the bulb again!

Pete

Reaction score
I've been thinking about switching my halogens for LEDs, how far apart are your light fittings? I'm not sure some of my rooms could suffer from narrowed dispersion angle and would like to get a gauge of what you feel caused dim patches.

Reaction score
Does led and halogen have the same required voltage? If so what is more effective ? Thanks!

Reaction score
Does led and halogen have the same required voltage? If so what is more effective ? Thanks!
LEDs are far cheaper on electricity than any Halogen lamp,both are the same voltage you can also get complete fittings as down lights with transformers attached at about £35.00 or so, go to a good electrical Wholesaler

Ask a Question