Repairing leak in vinyl window

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a rather unusual problem with a (hopefully) easy solution.

We have stacked vinyl windows, i.e.a larger window on top with a smaller window on the bottom separated by vinyl frames. When we get heavy rain coming from the south, it appears the rain gets into the seep holes and leaks into the house through what must be a crack within the vinyl frame. Rather than replace the entire window, I would like to try to repair it since we only get about 30 days of rain throughout the year (New Mexico). My initial plan was to find a high viscosity silicon (possibly an elastomeric roof coating that contains silicon), pour it into an empty caulking gun canister, and inject the silicon through one of the seep holes to fill the bottom of the frame and hopefully fill the crack in the process.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of repair or have any advice on a better way to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hi Tyler A

If your windows are similar to those we have here in the UK, the seep holes are there to drain water away. If these are blocked in the way you suggest, then things will be far worse, and there will be nothing you can do about it.
In fact your problem could well be due to a blockage behind these holes. This situation really needs to be investigated further to establish just why water is entering.

Reaction score
Hi John, thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't block the seep holes. I would instead try to fill only the very bottom of the space (maybe 2mm thickness of silicon coating the entire 'floor' of the frame). I am fairly certain the crack is in one of the bottom corners because I can spray some water in the seep holes, look in, and see just a slight puddle of water at the bottom of the frame which eventually leaks through the other side. Perhaps a bad design, but there is a slight lip between the bottom of frame floor, and the opening of the seep hole. I will try to get some photos up this afternoon.

Again, water only enters the seep holes when rain is blowing very hard against the windows. I have tested this by taking a hose and completely drenching the entire window from above.

Thanks again,

Ask a Question