Removing Ceiling

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently changed our downstairs layout and installed a dedicated dining room, I now need to modify considering wiring and plumbing in the ceiling above this new room, coming in from above is impossible due to bedroom furniture and recently decorated room.

My only option is to remove considerable amounts of this ceiling space, room is 3.2x2.3mtrs btw. Having drilled some tester holes I have noted the ceiling is around 25-30mm thick. I would intend on replacing this ceiling with 12.5mm fireboard, and having it skimmed.

Is there anything else I should be aware of, or should this be fairly straight forward? I will remove in small chunks of say 2x2 ft due to weight!.

Reaction score
Hi

I'm concerned as to how you propose to run pipes at right angles to the joists,that would normally be notched from above.
Cables - fine, joists drilled in the centre, and clipped.

What is the ceiling made of now, you say 30mm thick, is this in a location that needs special fireproofing ?

I would have thought it possible to access from above without causing any damage, is it really impossible ?

If you do go for this, I would recommend getting your plasterer to obtain and fix the board, then it will be jointed and fixed in a way to suit his skimming.

Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. The pipework and wiring is already running centre of the joists, I just need to make some mods to redirect it to opposite wall, fairly easy to do and will run in centre as currently is.

I assume the ceiling is made of plasterboard, with a plaster pattern effect, artex? As look from above shoes the joins similar to plasterboard, maybe its 19mm plasterboard with artex ontop.

The dining room leads from the living room, the room above is a bedroom. So once work done and floor needs fixing would definitely have to be fireboard. I will probably remove, do the rewire and pipework, and get plasterer to put it back together using 12.5mm and skim.

Reaction score
Good to get the feedback.
best of luck with your project.

I shoud add that with the electrics, any juncion boxes need to be of a type designed for inaccessible locations, not the round type.
Make absolutely sure of any pipe joints, compression fittingsmay not be a good idea.

Last edited:

Ask a Question