Recess in solid brick wall

Reaction score
Hi, I'm renovating my bathroom and intend to create a recess in the solid brick wall in which I will put shelves. It will be in the shower area and fully tiled. The wall is 200mm thick and I'm thinking about cutting in 100mm. The recess will be 500mm high and 300mm wide. Would I be best to use a lintel to support the brick work above the recess and what's the best way to remove such a large amount of material? When cutting recesses for plug sockets I've used a drill to create a honey comb then hammer it out with a chisel. Is there a quicker way?
Thanks in advance, Phil

Reaction score
if its a solid brick wall i take it its a 9 inch wall if so cutting in 100mm will take out a course of brick leaving brickwork above unsupported its not a lot what your cutting out, but how much more brickwork is above it and is the wall supporting?

Reaction score
The safest way/neatest, is to get concrete cutting services to cut where you need to cut the hole,the cutting machine uses water,which sprays onto the blade,so allmost no dust,a bit of sling from the blade,but you end up with a clean straight cut,ready for a little rendering. The cut is from top to bottom,the wall is drilled through from both sides,then the blade is placed against the wall and it cuts like cheese,if the wall is very thick,they cut from both sides,afterward the top brick/block line is found,and bricks are knocked out one at a time.The bonus is you do not end up with your wall cracked!! Which is a NO NO!! weakening the wall,if you need to put in a lentil do this before the cutting rgds David

Reaction score
Definitely add a lintel. Solid brick walls are usually (but not always) load bearing.

Ask a Question