Plastering on plaster

Reaction score
Hi all,

3 weeks ago I had a room plastered by a guy who said he could make it smooth enough for painting using only two layers of backing plaster.

It's not smooth enough; there are trowel marks, some bubbles, lots of small holes in places and small gaps between wall and ceiling. It is a thick layer [about 20mm in places] due to uneven 100yr old brickwork.

I would like a smooth layer to paint on but I don't know how to proceed. Should I scrape / sand it, and fill the holes? Should I throw on another layer of finishing plaster?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
I would scrap and sand. I believe in the old adage: If you want something done right, do it yourself.

Reaction score
Strange behaviour really , a plasterer should have skim finished the wall and not left it just bonded out unless stated by yourself or if the wall was to be tiled .

As for how to proceed from here , id check the wall for plumb with a 6ft level see if its flat and straight if its not and the wall is painted it will show up any low and high spots and look terrible

Ideally if its plumb it should be 2 coat skimmed to give a nice flat finish ready for painting or papering

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd throw up a finish layer and then fine tune it from there with a bit of sanding.

Reaction score
Sounds like a cowboy!! If the bonding coat is sound I would get a pro to go over it with finish

Ask a Question