Perfect bind or sewn signatures?

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm a retired drywaller, but I joined your group because I found you in a search I did for book binding. This probably make a lot of sense since folks here seem construction orientated. But, I'm here, you're reading so lets give it a try. :)
I have a set of centerfold pullouts from a magazine call Weekly Philatelic Gossip. From Nov 1 1941 thru May 8 1943, the magazine included a folio (A large piece of paper folded into two pages.) of the Gossip Printing company's reprint of John N. Luff's 1902 Postage Stamps of the United States.
The set totals 80 folios (320 pages) that were originally stapled inside the magazine. Sometime after they were collected, someone had them three holed punched for a 3 ring binder. As you can see from the 3rd pic, the binder is tearing the holes. I want to hard bind it. Easiest would be a perfect bind, as you can in the 1st pic the folios are tightly folded and the 1/2 space that is left un boarded when covering will cover the punched holes, providing the hinging area or spine of the book.
I question the perfect bind because although those folios are thin, all 80 of them are heavy. I think the sewn signatures would be stronger.
I wanted to cover the book in the original color of the 1902 Scott Publishing edition, so after asking if anyone on the Stamp Comminity forum had an original 1902 Luff, I was directed to a google search and the olny one that looks like a 1902 binding is a tan with a dark brown spine, couldn't tell if it was dyed but seems probable. 4 pic. Any tips of how to dye book cloth?

Attachments

Reaction score
Opps, meant to say probably won't make sense.
Mentioned construction cause most of the posts where.

Reaction score
Well. 34 views in 3 days, but not even a Huh? :)
Thinking about it, I can't sew the signatures as the way the folios are printed, I can't make signatures with them.
So, gonna have to be a perfect bind, which is easier, not as classic looking though, unless I add headbands any way, just for the added protection of the top of the spine.
Biggest trouble with this project is finding materials at reasonable costs. As soon as you look at materials on a bookbinding suppliers site, the price doubles, for instance, a yard of 50% Rayon/Cotton bookcloth is $16
Same with liner paper ( for the slipcase)
Picked up a nice patterned quilt liner (100% cotton) that will work well with all normal book fabric colors.
And a dense heavy nylon/cotton blend @ wally's world. Some Elmers glue all. I think it will work out fine, show ya when I'm done..
Glad we had this talk.. :D

Last edited:

Ask a Question