Peeling paint & stains: Which first - binding primer or stain sealer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I'm about to start repainting a bathroom that has both peeling paint and stains on the ceiling... nothing too major but both the stains and peeling paint still need to be dealt with regardless.
So, I bought the follow but realise now that I dont know which to use first.
- Zinsser Peel Stop Binding Primer
- Zinsser B-I-N Primer Sealer Stain Killer
In my wee head it would make more sense to bind the peeling paint edges first and then seal the stains but can anyone confirm if this is indeed correct?

Reaction score
Painting is a system where each layer has to stick to the surface underneath.
You need to get back to a good solid surface and use primers and topcoats that are meant for each other.
Zinsser is a well respected brand, sometimes called Bullseye 1-2-3 in the trade, but it can't fix everything.
For water stains on ceilings, using a water based stain blocker like Zinsser can fail as the stain breaks through before the paint dries.
With one particularly stubborn water stain, I resorted to a solvent based acrylic lacquer, several coats, and that fixed it. You can also try a coat of solvent based primer.
I recently got fed up with oil based brilliant white going yellow. So I stripped (scraped) it all off and throughly de-oiled with methylated spirits. Two coats of Bullseye 1-2-3 and two coats of water based satin white. Job done and no breakthough. Avoid oil-based paints, especially white, indoors, as you don't need them

Ask a Question