Painting Over Rough Paint (not artex)

Reaction score
A while ago I bought some paint that seemed to have 'gone off', I took it back to the store where they issued me with a refund, but the paint was ridiculously thick, and very hard to get an even smooth coating on walls, now I'm left with thick rough paint, but it's covered a huge attic walls and ceilings. Now it's been sitting there long enough and I'm sick to death of it, I want to paint over it, how do I do this without the fresh coat looking uneven and rough too. I really don't fancy using sandpaper and creating a huge mess. Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How bad is it - have you got a photo? Was this water based emulsion?

I think you'll get the best result from sanding to be honest. There are "smooth over" products, but they don't give as good a result as using some elbow grease ;). If you can post a photo, that may help us give advice.

Reaction score
I will get a photo posted shortly, I was hoping I wouldn't hear the words sanding :(. The thought of the dust and mess it'll create fills me with dread! I didn't know 'smooth over products' existed, would you be able to show me an example? Basically when you run your hand over it you can feel tiny lumps and bumps, almost like a grit, I'll try and get a photo posted but I'm not sure if I'll be able to capture the texture properly in a photo.

Ask a Question