Need suggestions for desk stability

Reaction score
So i had some spare wood lying around and i found myself needing two desks. Did some sketching (forgive my terrible drawings skills) abut can't decide between two options for bracing. Image 1 is general concept. Image 2 and 3 are the options. Thanks for the help!
desk1.PNG
desk2.PNG
desk3.PNG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just had a quick look at your drawings and in particular the dimensions.

60cm high seems a bit low and might result in catching your knees or thighs? 67cm would give better clearance but the actual top surface could be 80cm?

40cm depth would possibly be better at 60cm especially if the desk is to accept a monitor and keyboard also if placed against a wall you'll keep kicking the wall with your feet making it uncomfortable.

Adding additional bracing would reduce the 40cm height further; 45 degree bracing is adding something out of sight to hurt knees on?

It's your call of course and these are just a few of my thoughts; Bron and I are just setting off to visit friends but I'll be back later today and add a few pictures of the two desks I made. I hope I'm not being too negative but you've done right to ask questions before using materials.

I'll be interest to see any further posts because I like making furniture.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

At last a bit of time which is rare because I'm retired.

I've checked the desk I bought through eBay for Bron; this was originally mine bought as a stop gap until I made a new desk; the top was extremely weak in fact the whole desk was weak so I added strengthening bars back and front just beneath the top of 50mm x 50mm planed softwood which greatly increased its strength to the point I can now stand upon it; this desk is slightly smaller than mine and here are the dimensions of the main desk;

Height from floor to under top rail = 70cm
Height from floor to desk top = 76cm.
Depth front to back = 56cm

This suits Bron perfectly for her craft work and although I've offered to make here a bespoke desk Bron says she's happy with it.

My desk though is rather special being designed and made by me; it's dimensions are;
From floor to underside of top = 67cm
From floor to top surface = 82cm.
Depth front to back = 63cm.

This desk is more special because I designed its top section to accept 7 single 13A sockets all connected in series from a single cable and 13A plug; this is entirely my own idea and I'm delighted because it avoids the usual birds nest of cables hanging down to get my feet tangled in.

I tend to do everything the hard way and like to design things to suit me; yes it takes more time and thought but the end result is always worth it and such projects are most interesting and rewarding; I've built my woodworking skills over many years being self taught making all the mistakes.

I hope the dimensions of our desks help and the rest I've added for general interest in order to encourage others to do something differently?

Kind regards, Colin.

Almost completed..jpg

My desk nearing completion.

Brons desk_002.JPG

Bron's crafting desk unit bought through eBay.

Brons desk_003.JPG

Stengthening bars added beneath top front and rear making the desk a great deal more stable and perhaps an answer sought by this thread?

Door fitted..jpg

My desk ready for the new knobs I turned on my woodturning lathe; it's a unique desk.

Drawer section under top..jpg

The underside of the top section showing the drawer frame detail; please note the long gap at the back this was designed in to accept seven 13A single sockets and the extra thought and work involved has proved well worth it; all the cables are neatly tied with just one cable and plug as supply.

Drawers with Formica added..jpg

The top section showing the drawers in position; bespoke knobs were turned to match the table.

Ask a Question