My Father died so I can't ask him

Reaction score
My Father was first a carpenter then a mason for forty-some years. He actually built this house by himself - everything except the plumbing and electrical. The house was built in 1958. It is a ranch style house with a basement. I grew up in this house and I inherited it when he passed away two years ago. My wife and I sold our house and moved into this one after he passed away. In all the years that I lived here while growing up, and even the first year that we lived here after my wife and I inherited it, we never had this problem. The two corner bedrooms in the very outer corners (If this makes any sense it would be the far right corner of one room and the far left corner of the other room) have started discoloring because we are getting big drops of condensation dripping from them. The windows in the rooms also seem to have an excessive amount of condensation on them even though they were replaced with Wasco lifetime warranty vinyl windows by my parents maybe 10 years ago or so. The only two factors that I know for sure have changed since my Father died are 1.) We keep the heat set A LOT lower than my parents ever did. We set it at 60° during the day and 58° at night. 2.) When I was up in the attic setting some mouse traps I noticed that the insulation in the corners of the house was folded back so it wasn't extending as far as all the other insulation did. (the attic has double insulation. It has blown in insulation and then over the top of that there is a layer of roll insulation.) My Dad would have been able to tell me if that insulation was folded back on purpose but he's not here to ask anymore. It was no easy feat to get to those corners in the attic so I don't want to crawl through all that insulation again to get to those corners unless I really need to. Otherwise could the condensation in those rooms be because we keep the temperature set so low in the house ? I would appreciate someone stepping in and giving me the advice that my Dad would have been able to give me if he were still here. Then after that maybe you could help me figure out what some of these tools are that I found in his woodworking shop - I have no idea what they are for - lol.

Ask a Question