Moving insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m having my loft boarded out. I have a huge amount of insulation between the joists so some of it is being moved to the rafters. I understand this should help to keep the house as warm as we are used to. Once it’s in place, can I put something over it? Exposed insulation will be messy, and we will be constantly brushing against it. We plan to use the loft a lot so it will be better if we can cover it. I’m thinking of something which will look ok, maybe serve a purpose (ie working with the insulation, moisture levels etc) and be easy for a novice DIYer fit after the chippy has left. I’m also mindful of not having too much weight on the rafters. Thank you.

Reaction score
One way is to install "legs" made especially to raise the level of the boards above the insulation.

If as i understand it, you are going to push the spare Insulation between the roof rafters, over time it will fall out, look @ plastic mesh to hold it in place? Look at insulated plasterboard + spare insulation + a vent space

It would be advisable to leave an air space between the top side of the insulation as the latter above and the underside of the roof felt to keep this area free of condensation, about 50 / 60.mm gap.

Finally, you will need a cross flow to keep the condensation levels down make sure that your eaves vents are not blocked off with Insulation + air can flow as per the "air space" above?

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
KenGMac is VERY right. Do NOT insulate the rafter tight against the roofing substrate (plywood). In fact, you need quite a bit of ventilation to avoid condensation. You do NOT want to heat the underside of your roofing substrate, nor do you want to plug off it's air flow. It's best to keep the insulation in the "trusses", and perhaps plywood over insulation and trusses to provide you a walking surface. You will NOT be able to heat the attic/loft.

In my opinion, its a bad idea to modify this area. Leave it as is. Ask a qualified roofer about this, and you'll see it's quite complex.

Ask a Question