Miele washing machine keeps tripping the RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all DIYer’s,

My Miele washing machine W2809 keeps cutting out electrically and tripping the RCD at the end of its cycle. It washes OK, rinses and drains water OK, but cuts out when it starts to to do its final spin (about 15-20 mins left). Just as it begins to gain speed for the final spin dry it will cut out. It does this with a full or half load. It does this at lo (400rpm) as well as top (1200). I tried it just on spin programme without a load and it seemed to work OK

More recently, it was making a light fizzing noise when not operating (the machine was actually switched off). I gave the body a bit of a tap where I could hear the “fizz” and it again cut it and tripped the RCD.

The most recent cycle I put it on, it washed OK again and tripped at the final spin phase.

Any ideas what this could be? Appreciate thoughts and instructions...

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

You've obviously got some sort of short there.

The fact that it "fizzes" when it's off can still mean it's shorting. Electricity is alternating current. Unless it's a double pole switch the "blue" wire is still live and the breaker will trip if it touches metal which is earthed.

You really need to get someone in to fix the problem. In it's present condition you could get a shock just touching the cabinet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Doghouse,

Thank you for your concern.

I have switched the washing machine off at the double pole switch thanks.

The strange thing is that, even with switching off at the DP switch, at one point I could hear a faint fizzing. Hence, not sure if this fizzing noise is electrical, though it most likely is. Is this weird that the noise could at one point be heard with it being switched off at the DP switch?

I have kept it switched off and when I pull the fitted machine out to inspect it tomorrow, I'll take the ring main off at the consumer unit just to be sure.

When I do open it up, any ideas what I should look for? Mains filter? evidence of burns/dodgy connections, motor brushes?

Cheers.

Reaction score
To be honest Matt it could be anything, obviously look for any burnt wiring or poor connections.

Sometimes when a motor is working "too hard" because something is forcing it to run slower than for the speed for which it is designed, can be enough to trip it out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Doghouse

It seems the problem is the dryer next to my washing machine (Miele T4809C). Even when the washing machine was off at the DP switch, like I mentioned previously, there was still a fizzing/buzzing sound. I isolated the dryer and the washing machine now works fine.

The two units are right next to each other and have a bout a 3mm gap between the sides of the metal bodies.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Maybe same as you mentioned before but concerning the dryer instead? I have left it switched off

Cheers

Reaction score
When determining the source of a noise, it's easy to get it wrong. The classic example is when you hear a noise in your car when you are driving.
As you say they are that close together, because you associated the "fizzing" noise with the washing machine as it was the suspect, it may have actually been coming from the dryer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It may be what I experience. If you unplug the machine and remove the top of the machine. Check whether the liquid pipe being fed from the soap tray doesn’t have a small leak. be aware there is a risk of shock if you touch the wrong thing. if this is the problem the pipe is very easy to source and replace yourself.

Ask a Question