Limestone Tile Haze On Bathroom Floor.......

Discussion in 'Flooring and Tiling' started by David Shelborne, Dec 31, 2016.

1. David Shelborne

David Shelborne

About 4 years ago my bathroom and shower floor was tiled with Limestone tiles. The tiles were a beautiful, natural white. They were grouted with a brown grout. The tiles were cleaned and sealed. When the job was completed we wound up with a very heavy haze over the entire project. I have tried 3 different haze removers, one of which was from the manufacture of the grout sealer. None so much as touched it.

I am thinking that the tiles should have probably been sealed prior to grouting since the tiles are porous. I am believing that the only way to remove the haze is with fine sanding. It would have to be a small sanding tool and some kind of grit that will not scratch or damage the limestone. The tiled floor always looks dirty and my wife hates it. The tiles are 1 inch to 1.5 inches in size with irregular shapes. They came in, I believe in sheets of about 12" x 12" or a little larger.

When the shower floor is wet the tiles look nice. Then the floor dries. The bathroom floor always looks bad.

A professional installer advised me that Limestone is always a pain in the patootey and that I will always be fighting it. Makes me sad to hear.
    Dave

David Shelborne, Dec 31, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. David Shelborne

Ian Administrator

Hi Dave, welcome to the forums :).

Do you know which product was used to seal the tiles in the first place? If you could post a photo of the haze, that would help too.

You can get very fine buffer/sanding pads which may do the job - but it depends on the type of sealant used. The best bet may be to contact the sealant manufacturer and send in a photo - their support departments are usually pretty good. I recently spoke to Fila (Stone Plus) and they were very helpful with advice on dealing with cleaning up a bad job (not done by me, I might add ;)).

Here are a couple of examples of pads you can get, if you did go down that route. I guess you're US based, so I've linked to Amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-4-Inch-Diamond-Polishing-Granite/dp/B01MA5LUBR/
    https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Polishing-Backer-Granite-Concrete/dp/B00C46I104/

If you do try and grind away the haze, please be sure to do a test area first, including re-sealing it.

Ian, Jan 5, 2017
    1. Advertisements