Ledger and Hardipanel Siding

Yak

Reaction score
I am enclosing a patio and plan on using a ledger board to tie the roof into the rim joist. The house is sided with Hardipanel fiber cement and has a flat surface. Behind the Hardipanel is hardiwrap which covers the panel siding they used in the early 80s that reminds me of layers of cardboard pressed and sealed. I don't know if I should just attach the ledger board through everything and into the rim joist or cut away material to get a better connection with the rim joist. I fear cutting away something and needing to flash everything, when I currently have a water barrier. Once I connect the roof it will be trimmed with 5" harditrim that I plan on gaulking the top of the trim board so no water can get behind the trim. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Use a metal drip edge so it does not rot and remove the hardi as it is brittle and possibly not flat. Pre drill the ledger so that it can pull up tight.

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question