Laser Distance Meter

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a distance meter to make things easier taking measurements for when I go apartment hunting (rental places) soon. So far I have checked local stores and the brands that are available are Uni-T (Uni-Trend), Dtape and SNDWAY. These options are the cheaper, around 30-40usd but I don't know how accurate they are and returns are not possible here locally, or at least very difficult to facilitate. There is also a Bosch glm-40 which is around 90usd.

I won't be using it much so I'm thinking of going the cheaper route, however I don't know if these things can be relied and what kind of accuracy variance I should consider acceptable or not. The bosch is too expensive for a one time use thing, I may use it in the future as we have other properties and it may come in handy making changes to exterior fixtures, driveways etc... but not something I will be using regularly.

Any info on these devices, brands and uses would be appreciated.

Reaction score
My only experience of laser distance measurers, was a story told me by the guy that fitted our carpets a few years ago, His previous job was at a big house in Wilmslow. Apparently, the owners had ordered an expensive carpet from John Lewis. We had a quote from them, they wanted us to pay £3.99 a square metre. Seems cheap you say? But that was what they wantedper square yard to take up and dispose of the old carpet!
Back to the story, a young woman from John Lewis came to measure the owners room, it was a through lounge. She used a laser measure. When the carpet arrived it was a couple of feet too short! So they cancelled the order and used the firm that was doing ours.

Reaction score
Thanks Doghouse, that sort of thing is my chief concern and why I asked about this. Although not knowing more details on the model used in your particular case and if it was used correctly by the user adds to the uncertainty of it all. From my research the Bosch ones are spot on taking measurements when used correctly, while some of the cheaper ones might be off by a couple of mm.

A couple of feet off is a huge issue but for my uses I think a couple of mm would be ok. While I don't plan on doing anything other than taking measurements for my own reference as i will me leaving the actual work to the professionals, it would be better knowing I am taking precise measurements with a reliable tool so there is no need for any do-over as with your particular example.

Reaction score
UPDATE: I went ahead and bought a UNI-T distance meter. For anyone who is interested, it's initially off by about 3-5mm when I first turn it on each time. If I cycle through the unit modes or take four or five measurements from longer distances, only then does it show a good reading, exact or between 1-2mm. I tested this against a fixed distance between my door frame and also a cabinet multiple times.

Seems like a fault or issue, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the product.

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got a Leica DISTO D2. The DISTO's are the most accurate. My D2 came with a Calibration Seet that said my D2 was within 0.2mm. That's the thickness of 2 sheets of 24LB printer paper. I trust this better than a steel tape. You can get the Leica DISTO D2 for under $150 on Amazon.com

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Agree with N7AS.
Leica Disto is the best.
Remarkable accuracy especially with supplied reflector.
That plus the Leica laser level, makes kitchens and bathrooms, shelves etc. a doddle.
But as you've already bought and probably regretting, advice now is too late.
Loads of other features and also serves as spirit level.

Ask a Question