Lack of pressure

Reaction score
The plumber that serviced my boiler, said the reason the bath takes soooooooo long to fill is due to water pressure, he said that there was nothing that could be done with that boiler (heat line approx 7 yrs old) that was fitted by the previous owners. we have put up with it for 4.5 yrs, good job we have an electric shower.
Water in kitchen has never been great but perfectly adiquate, Boxing day I turned the hot tap on, and a spert of air and then a trickle of water, we turned down the heat on the water and it did make a slight difference, but today the speed of the water is a joke. can anybody give me an idear of what is going on? I know the boiler is not a good one, but canot afford just to change it whilst it is still working. The boiler is in the back bedroom not in the kitchen.:confused:

Reaction score
I am not familiar with Heatline boilers but if it is a combination boiler (no hot water cylinder) = what is the pressure at your cold taps like ? If you have good cold water pressure the boiler must be your problem. Is the cold inlet tap under boiler opened fully ?.

Bath taps make the water flow look worse because they are a bigger tap (3/4")and most combi boilers only have 15mm (1/2" )hot pipe outlet

Combi boilers can only heat so much water depending on their size in KW's usually between approx 8.6 litres per minute with a 40 degrees temp rise for a 24KW boiler to 15L/min heated by 40 degrees for a 42KW boiler.
If your cold water pressure is poor the boiler cannot put out what's not coming in, check your main stoptap is fully open.

Sadly a lot of people buy boilers on price rather than performance. It is good practice to go for the most powerful combi you can afford for hot water output, the boiler will modulate itself down to whatever the radiators require.

If it is not a combi boiler the hot water pressure is down to the height of your cold water storage tank above the tap in question (more height = more pressure) unless you have a blockage in the pipework or tap.

Pete

Ask a Question