Knocking out fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, in in the process of knocking out a fireplace. The span is less than a metre but I put Acros in just to be safe.
IMG_20230212_124145.jpg

I bought an oak beam to act as a lintel but as I took off the plaster and cement render I noticed and exposed a brick arch.

IMG_20230212_135858.jpg

My question is:

Am I right in thinking the brick arch is enough to support the brick above?

Should I repair the lime mortar that had fallen out during the excavation process before removing the bricks below the arch?

To the right of the opening the builder has turned a brick to install a lead gas pipe. Am I right in thinking I can knock that out and repair without supporting the brick above?

Sorry that's more than one question!

Many thanks

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'd probably remove the drywall/plaster off the front of the fireplace ABOVE the arch, then observe to see if the brickwork is interlocked. That is, determine is the front bricks and overlapping into the left and right wall/column sides? If so, I'd take the bricks out.

Considering how the ancient "arch" works, it is unlikely your walls/columns to the left and right side of the arch are constructed of sufficient strength to bear the axial forces of a functioning arch.

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've knocked more of the render off
IMG_20230218_160932.jpg

IMG_20230218_160935.jpg

It shows a better picture of what's going on. I'm pretty sure the 20mm sand cement render would hold everything together. It's a bitch to come off

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would agree with you, yes. I would remove the bricks beneath the arch, apply some additional grout to the arch, and leave it.

Ask a Question