Is it wood oil enough protection against rain?

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi guys,

I have done recently a house number sign by myself and to protect a piece of timber I have used some wood oil as a protection against rain (it is on a outside wall).
The screws that I have used are stainless steel, but I am wondering if the wood will last against rain and humidity (now with the winter season coming).
I am concern about this , because it took a while to fix all the screws in place and I would not want to make it all over again.
If someone has an idea if what I did is ok.
Here how it all went through:

House Number Sign

I much appreciate in advance all the answers.

Best regards

Reaction score
What sort of wood is it?

It needs to be hardwood. Modern softwood comes from "substainable sources," which means that it usually has the density of forced rhubarb. If it is hardwood and you like the look of it, it should be OK, but it will need re-oiling more frequently than "if you remember."

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I am not sure what rupe of Wood it is, it is wuite soft though. Guessing pine or something similar.
Came from some trash that one of the neighbors dumped away.
I have just gather all the planks there.
I hope it will last a couple of years at least, not to paint to often.

Thanks for a reply

Reaction score
I am not sure what rupe of Wood it is, it is wuite soft though. Guessing pine or something similar.
Came from some trash that one of the neighbors dumped away.
I have just gather all the planks there.
I hope it will last a couple of years at least, not to paint to often.

Thanks for a reply

I'd go to a wood yard and see you can get an off-cut of Mahogany or something similar. It'd pay in the long term.
Five years ago I made exterior plywood rondels that cover the coach bolts that hold the pergola to the two support posts.
I painted them with Dulux mahogany woodsheen a couple of times, but they fell to pieces this year. the ones I made previously did the same in about the same number of years.

P1020616.jpg

So this year I used a bit of 9" mahogany window sill I had in the garage, left over from shelves I'd made with it thirty years ago.
I reckon these will see me out. They're painted, but the wood is so dense the paint will stay on.

P1040178.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What a lovely neat job you've made of the house numbers; full credit to you and thanks for sharing. It must have taken you ages and a lot of patience to get all the screws exactly alined in position and head slots aligned so perfectly

The timber looks like common softwood and even without being treated against the weather should last a few years; wooden pallets don't fall apart quickly even if left outside.

As usual Doghouse has given excellent advice and yes Mahogany would certainly last also would cedar; I'm unsure about oak because if oak comes into contact with any steel and gets wet it badly stains wood. You've fully treated the wood which is good news; end grain in particular needs careful sealing. The only concern I have is in using so many wood screws so near to each other along the grain; over time I wonder if this will cause the grain to open up? Good luck.

You've made a good job of the roundels Doghouse; did you use a router?

Drifting a bit off topic but for interest and now having seen your roundels here's a bit of useful information;

https://www.decwood.co.uk/

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi Colin,

thanks a lot for the nice comment and advices.
Yes indeed it took a lot of time to align the screws, but I love this kind of meticulous and delicate work, it is really relaxes me.
I was worried as well for the grain not to open up, but having this kind of soft wood hopefully it will hold.
I did not screw the screws too much either and hopefully it will help that I have drilled before.
I am also happy to gather experience From you guys as well.

thanks a lot and good luck with your projects to you too

Reaction score
Country
United States
New to the site.
Nice job on the numbers. Yes there are probably better wood choices for outdoors but are they free and being saved from the landfill? For small outdoor projects such as yours I often use a preservative not usually thought of, hot paraffin. On your project it could be used to fill the screw holes then attach the screws. A new application can be applied any time you like. BTY, it works wonders on cutting boards.

Ask a Question