Is it really stainless steel??

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Below is a picture of my handle after 15 years of time. In the past 15 years, it wasn't cleaned or even wiped. It has kind of rusting, corrosion like this.
I am unable to clean out the black stain. But I don't care, I just want to know if it's really SS

It claimed to be stainless steel when I bought it at that time. What is the possible material as you see from the picture?

Attachments

Reaction score
Along with the type SS, that crud to me looks like there might have been something like mineral deposits or some such contaminant that promoted corrosion. I might think a scrub with a scuff pad and perhaps super super fine sandpaper ought to clean it up

Reaction score
With the increase in recycling of metals in China, there is no telling what the real material is. I have seen companies clean parts with a steel wire wheel brush and have the parts completely rust over in a month.

Reaction score
Silent, good commnet. At my prior employment, we bought a large SS tank. Had brackets welded on to it but the welds were apparently cleaned up with a grinder that had been used on carbon steel. Lots of ground in rust. For the original question, I would think a quick polish with some 400 - 600 - 800 wet/dry paper ought to clean it up. Keep going with finer grits until the desired finish is achieved

Reaction score
Handle looks 'orrible You will never get the pitting out.
What it isn't, is a marine grade of stainless like 316 (A4).
I would go with Silent's comment and say that if it is stainless, then the corrosion looks like corrosion cells or pockets of adulterated alloy made from recycled materials rather than "virgin" material from a large smelters.
One thing that really goes for cheap grades of stainless is acid, particularly hydrochloric or related chemicals like ferric chloride.
I once saw a Grundfoss stainless submersible pump reduced to a few plastic bits after being used to pump ferric chloride in a spill cleanup.
A good test is try it with a magnet. Decent grades like A4 are non magnetic. Cheap grades tend to be as magnetic as a mild steel nail.
Stainless fittings of any type used to be horribly expensive until the Chinese got involved. I've got a load of early Sheffield stainless cutlery from people like Viners. The bad stuff is magnetic and has corrosion due to rinse aid acids (citric or tartaric) in dishwashers. Only one spoon is non-magnetic and is the only one without pitting.

Sam

Reaction score
Below is a picture of my handle after 15 years of time. In the past 15 years, it wasn't cleaned or even wiped. It has kind of rusting, corrosion like this.
I am unable to clean out the black stain. But I don't care, I just want to know if it's really SS

It claimed to be stainless steel when I bought it at that time. What is the possible material as you see from the picture?

You might be able to check it with a magnet, most is not magnetic, and some is. And when not used it can pit to some extent.

Ask a Question