How do I install a ceiling light?

Reaction score
How would I go about installing a light on the ceiling in a room that has no light or connections currently in it?

I'm looking to install a ceiling light in the guest room, but there is no light connection or wires. This room is below a room on my upper level.

I have decent technical knowledge, but I am not a pro by any means whatsoever. Does anyone have some DIY advice for this type of task?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi terryp1202

Not really a question I can answer without knowing anything about the circuits in your property, or the location of any access to them. Can I suggest that you read up on domestic lighting circuits. If you intend to DIY there's a lot to learn in order to comply with the regulations, and safe practice.
If any doubt, call an electrician - Safety first !

Reaction score
The best answer to your question depends a lot on whether you are willing to rip open the walls and ceiling in the room. You need to decide where to locate the switch and light before you begin. Most electrical outlets can serve as a starting point for drawing power but you need to ensure that you haven't a lot of items running of those circuits. Once you have sorted out which circuit the plug is on, look at all the items operating off that came circuit (it will usually be a combination of lights and outlets). If there are a lot of items, you will need to install a whole new circuit or draw power from elsewhere.

There are some wireless switches/lights in the market which will allow you to plug in a lamp to a device which then goes into a wall socket. A remote switch can be attached anywhere on the wall (usually it has a small battery). This allows you to walk into a room, hit the switch and the lamp comes on. While it isn't a ceiling lamp, it can work if you are not interested in opening up the walls and ceiling to run electrical wires.

Ask a Question