How can i power up the lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi me again, another problem i have is, the kitchen has several different types of under cupboard lights, in one corner which just has a floor double cupboard and a wall mounted double cupboard. there are 2 tube lights under the wall cupboards and these lights didn't work so i replaced the bulbs but still didn't work i managed to follow the wire and it comes out under the floor cupboard but you wont believe this the end of the cable isn't connected to any think so obviously there is no power here are a few ideas i had but might sound stupid to an electrician when you stop laughing please reply.
1) is there a battery type transformer i could connect the cable to under the floor cupboard?
2) could i pull the cable back up and put a plug on it as there is a double socket on the back wall between the floor cupboard and the wall cupboard?
3) is there a way to splice the power cable and add a spur of the cable to put a singe socket on?
many thanks for any advice or suggestions you have ? bob.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1) In (2) you indicate that you think they are mains voltage, so a transformer won't be of any use.

2) If the lights are 230V, and if the cable is long enough, and if it is free to be pulled through like that, and if it is round flex, yes.

3) How would that help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1) i said it was a silly idea
2) yes its a 3 core grey flex, the 2 lights are connected by a lead connector and on it , it says 240v
3) if i could cut in to the power cable underneath the floor cupboard and i could attach another cable to it i could put a single socket on the end and then plug it in underneath out of sight.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You need to find out if the cable you'd be cutting into is already a spur, or not. You need "not".

You should use a maintenance free junction box.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I am assuming (as it is so common) that your socket circuit is a ring, using 2.5mm² cable and a 32A breaker. That combination of cable and breaker size is only allowed with a ring because the current to each socket is shared between two paths, otherwise the cable would be too small.

A spur is only a single cable, and should only have one socket on it, so you need to trace that cable and see if it is part of a ring or aspur.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if its a spur is there any think else i can do? thanks bob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Find where it originates and use an FCU - you can have as many sockets as you like fed by one.

Ask a Question